Friday, June 6, 2008

  A True Friend Shares Her Secret Cherry Picking Spot: At knitting last Wednesday, Anne Tansey, whose house is the setting for our Knitty-Bitty gatherings, put out a bowl of fresh-picked cherries. We were all being polite and not gorging our selves. Finally I asked her if this was all she had or if she had more (so I'd know whether to keep helping myself or not.) She said she had two neighbor's trees down the road that were loaded and that she was allowed to pick all she wanted. In that case, I said, I'll help finish this bowl. She then invited us to pick with her Thursday morning early - which I did. I got about four gallons that day. Went back this morning too and got maybe 3.5 more. A relative of the woman in the house where we were picking pointed us to a yellow cherry tree out back and I got some of those as well. Some are going into the freezer as is for frozen winter treats and I'm borrowing a cherry pitter for the rest of them. At the price of cherries (organic ones at that), I figure I made about $40/hr picking these beauties.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: